Even if you have carbon monoxide detectors in your own home, you might someday find yourself in an environment with dangerous carbon monoxide levels and no alarm system. In that case, it’s important to know the symptoms and what to do.
Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning may experience dizziness, nausea, headaches, weakness, confusion or chest pain. After enough exposure, victims lose consciousness. It’s critical that everyone go outside and into the fresh air as quickly as possible, and then seek medical attention. Even if the symptoms gradually disappear on their own, carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious medical event that requires treatment.
No one should re-enter the home or building until HVAC technicians have been contacted for emergency service. Carbon monoxide may still be building up inside, and the structure will need to be completely ventilated before it’s safe to reenter.