While most of the world doesn’t think of Las Vegas as having winter issues, those of us who live here know better. The desert can be a pretty cold place in the winter months, especially at night.
What we do have in common with cooler-climate Americans is that most of us don’t think too much about their heating systems until we really need them. What that means is, we fire it up when we’re chilly and not a moment before.
Unfortunately, this approach usually takes us by surprise, which means that if there are any issues with our heating systems, we’ll have an urgent situation on our hands. Call the technician – quick!
The Law of Supply and Demand
Of course, when the mercury starts to drop, you won’t be the only one in the same boat. As established HVAC professionals in Las Vegas, we tend to see a significant uptick in service calls right around this time of year. They all seem to come at once, too, which puts a great deal of stress on our service crew. When this happens, you could end up waiting longer than you ought to for your repair.
How Regular Maintenance Reduces Heating Costs
You might wonder why this is relevant in the realm of reducing costs. It’s a good question! The truth is, emergency service calls are costly and mostly avoidable. A better, more affordable approach would be to schedule regular maintenance calls in the shoulder seasons, spring and fall.
Our technician will come out and inspect your systems, test everything, change your filters, and ensure there are no problems to be concerned about – before you need to turn anything on. It’s proactive! That way, when the temperature plunges, you can simply switch over to your winter thermostat program and carry on.
You’ll avoid costly repairs, and your systems will be running in tip-top shape when you need them most.
Other Ways to Reduce the Cost of Keeping Warm
So, we’ve covered yearly maintenance. What now? Here are some more pro tips for reducing your heating costs this winter:
- Install a smart thermostat. A smart thermostat is one of the best ways to control heating costs. You can pre-program your settings lower when you’re not at home and higher when you’re there. You can even control your thermostat from your phone!
- Seal drafty windows and doors. If you notice air coming through your windows and doors, grab that caulking gun and get to work. Using draft-stoppers under your doors is a good idea too.
- Insulate your home. Energy efficiency is all about how well your home is insulated. Attics are a great place to start. As a general rule, you should have between five and 12 inches of insulation for max efficiency.
- Use zone heating. Close the vents in rooms you’re not using. This approach will reduce the load on your system as it won’t be heating rooms unnecessarily.
- Chase the sunshine. The sun is one of the best natural heaters we have. Open your curtains wide to catch as much sunlight as you can during the day. Your heating system won’t have to work nearly as hard.
And when you need a trusted HVAC professional, call the experts at AC Plus. Schedule your heating system maintenance today.