As the warmer weather comes into sharper focus, many of our customers are getting ready with a little spring cleaning. With winter in the rear-view, it’s a good time to refresh, renew, and dust off the old season in preparation for fun in the sun.
While you shake off the cobwebs and freshen up the pool umbrella, don’t forget your HVAC system! It’s been working hard all winter long, keeping you warm and cozy, but when the need suddenly changes and you switch on the air conditioning, you want to be sure everything is working as safely and reliably as it should.
Here are a few spring cleaning tips to keep your HVAC systems running at peak efficiency:
- Dust and Mop Everything. This is probably already on your to-do list, but you may not realize how important it is to your HVAC system. The dust and dirt that builds up on your floors and surfaces can recirculate into your central air system, compromising the air that you breathe.
- Change Your Air Filter. Furnace filters should be changed twice yearly, usually at the beginning of the winter and again in the springtime. Be sure you turn off your equipment before you change the filter. If your furnace filter is in a place that is difficult to access, call AC Plus, and we’ll send a technician out to help.
- Clean Your Ducts. All kinds of allergens and debris get caught in your ducts, and if they aren’t cleaned regularly, you and your loved ones will be breathing it all in. Have your ducts professionally cleaned once a year to ensure the best indoor air quality. Duct cleaning can also alert you to problems like mold, which can be a significant health concern whether you have allergies or not.
- Declutter. When you store things away, they are out of sight and out of mind. However, forgotten clutter is another area that can attract dust and allergens inside your home. Outside, be sure to clear away any objects, plants, or debris from around the compressor to ensure optimum airflow.
- Clean Your Windows. While cleaning your windows isn’t directly related to your HVAC system operation, it is a great way to maximize the sun’s heat on a chilly spring day.
- Replace Batteries in Smoke Alarms. Check batteries in all of your smoke alarms, carbon monoxide (CO) units, and your smart thermostat. Even if you think they still have some life left in them, new batteries will always perform better.
- Clean the Condenser. Your HVAC system’s condenser is a magnet for all sorts of things, like twigs, leaves, stones, and miscellaneous debris. Even if you keep your unit covered up with a tarp through the winter months, it’s possible that some of these pesky items got through.
And lastly, here’s a tip to keep you safe during spring cleanup: be sure that you shut down the power to your HVAC system before you remove the cover, clean ducts, or change any components. If you are at all nervous about doing it yourself, call to schedule a seasonal maintenance visit today. Our certified HVAC technicians are 100 percent dedicated to your health and safety, and we’re always ready to help.